It’s Spring Break week here in Brevard County Florida…
The girls and I made a #HealthyMeetHappy test recipe today for dinner at the request of one of our children.
The handpicked menu included a family favorite “Brinner” also known as Breakfast at Dinner alongside a dietitian inspired test recipe for Coconut Flour Crepes that I’ve been wanting to try for a while now.
The Brinner Menu included the following:
Applewood Smoked Bacon
Fresh Watermelon Cubes
Fresh Mixed Greens Salad
and the test recipe Coconut Flour Crepes with a Strawberry & Honey Yogurt Creme
What was the family’s response you ask?? Our youngest giggled joyously ” this is the best dinner ever”!
Our middle child beamed with delight as she had successfully assisted in the kitchen and was now enjoying the fruits of her efforts…
Big Sister eagerly accepted the Coconut Flour Crepes and filled it with her own hand picked ingredients. Not sure what to do with it, she kept it dry and tried eating it like a taco. After a few bites, she decided it wasn’t for her and went back to her staple preference for Brinner. The dietitian mom in me was proud of the kiddos for their willingness to try something new with zeal and excitement. Another #HealthyMeetHappy success story for the blog posts…
Everyone enjoyed a delicious Brinner meal, another test recipe on the books ( not a personal favorite but) with a bit of recipe re-creation… may just become a family Winner?!
What’s your favorite family friendly dinner meal that the kids love to help out in the kitchen with?
“Studies and experience shows that kids are more likely to engage in new foods when they’ve helped create the meal. Even a few stirs or gentle pats can help with exposing kids to new #HealthyMeetHappy foods that can become future favorites that last a lifetime!” ~Angela Gallagher, Registered and Licensed Dietitian, Nutritionist
Have a #HealthyMeetHappy Spring Break!
Yemily and I set out on a journey of dabbling in food photography around Brevard County Florida last week…
We were also searching for local food ingredients for healthy recipes that we will be testing in our Farm to Kitchen Cooking Demos we are planning on hosting at Vintage Living Marketplace off of US1 in Rockledge.
Here are a few pictures from our findings.. the farm market we visited was in downtown Cocoa Village in the Myrt Tharp Square. Many of the local artisans, produce wholesalers and farmers are all local to the county and set up a lovely display of goods every Wednesday in the village.
- But first . . . in traditional #HealthyMeetHappy style . . . the day begins with…. YES, you guessed it. Coffee!
- The day begins with french pressed coffee on the back porch… brewed to perfection in just 3 minutes
- Locally grown herbs and flowers are shown here including the Stevia plant, basil, lavender, thyme, mint and florals. Did you know that one can even grow fresh tumeric here in the south?
- These are all locally sold fresh produce at the Cocoa Village Farmers Market in the courtyard of Cocoa Florida on Wednesdays
- Most of the current produce is coming from Plant City Florida, an agricultural hub of the south
- Feel free to check out the abundant fresh markets in the area like this one in historic Cocoa Village
- Isn’t it time to get back to the basics of #HealthyMeetHappy living?
- We were happy to have scored some great finds at our local farmers market.
- We are working on creating several Healthy Recipes for disease management including diabetes, weight loss, GI tolerance and food sensitivities that we will be happy to share in the future.
- Look for many great family friendly recipes to come!
- Shown above is locally harvested honey from Pappa’s – shown here is Orange Blossom with Comb; all natural, raw and unfiltered honey at its best. Try it over a slice of toast with a cup of tea?
Wishing you a #HealthyMeetHappy week!